Welcome to our blog!

Friday, December 12, 2008

A Hike Up Stone Mtn







Some of our favorite friends who live in Brazil came to visit. We had big plans to go bike riding around Berry College in Rome, GA but plans changed b/c the weather was supposed to be cold and rainy. Wanting some kind of excitement and outdoor adventure, we decided to go just a few miles down the road to Stone Mountain Park and hike the mountain with all 3 kids in tow. What seemed like a modest and not particulary gutsy decision turned out to be a memorable trip. I haven't exercised in at least 15 months and agreed to carry TSG on my back while Lover literally hauled Nucky up on his back (w/o a pack). Our friends had their 1-year-old in a backpack to share the burden. What started out as a pretty day (65 degrees?) quickly changed as we hiked... once at the top, temp went down to about 30 something, wind was blowing fiercely and it started raining! Thank goodness for the shelter up top. The funny part is that Nucky was in one of her disagreeable (about walking especially) moods, so in order to keep her going and not crying (like I wanted to do), we kept talking about this as a big Dora adventure. We'd just seen a Dora about going to the Mountain (stone mtn, right?), then a palace (shelter at the top of stone mtn?), then the tower (antenna on top of stone mtn?) and then the wall (small rock wall at the bottom of the hike)... she thrived on the imaginary part and hung in there with us.

I had several emotions and thoughts running thru my head... will my kids freeze to death, can my quads really keep making me move so that we can actually get home, will i ever try to hike 825 feet (laugh, Colorado friends) with 22 lb baby on my back...

No comments: